Sunday, October 26, 2014

Pacific Crest for the shore

Our family back east has a new house at the shore.  Lucky for us, it significantly reduces the cost of going to visit that side of the family because we no longer have to contribute to a rental.  Not wanting to get something in exchange for nothing on our end (and because I like them and I know it would make her happy), I asked my sister in law if she would welcome the idea of a package arriving with a quilt for the new house. I do feel especially grateful that she appreciates the quilts I have made for her family and expresses her excitement and appreciation.  That makes me so much more willing to make more things for her.


And so she sent the decor for two of the rooms.  I chose the room with the above decor and went searching for fabric to coordinate.  I found a lovely clearance sale of Parson Gray fabric and bought mostly Seven Wonders with a little Curious Nature and World Tour fabrics mixed in.  

At this point, I can't remember my original plan for a pattern, but my sister in law's style is more traditional than modern.  Originally I chose a design with a lot of HST, but then Beyond Neutral by John Q. Adams (Quilt Dad) came out and I really liked the Pacific Crest quilt on the cover.  It was a nice balance of the number of HST and squares so the trimming process no longer seemed daunting.

The three year old helped me bring squares to the machine while I put together the top so one set in the upper corner is not quite the same as the normal pattern.  It did not affect the overall appearance so I chose to run with it rather than unpick.  Most likely you can't tell the difference.  

By the time I got to basting it, about a month ago, I was ready to be done so it is quilted with the normal meandering stitch in a cream thread.  
The weather did not cooperate today for outside pictures and I wanted to mail it off this weekend.  

Finished size: 72" x 84"
Pattern:  Pacific Crest by Quilt Dad in Beyond Neutral
Fabrics for top:  Seven Wonders by Parson Gray and Free Spirit Solids in Chamois
Binding:  Curious Nature Universe Academy
Quilted by me in a meandering stitch
Backing: Simple Marks by Malka Dubrawsky


Thoughts on fabric for the next color combination?  I think I might need a picture of the actual room all put together for this one.  



1 comment:

  1. You just can't go wrong with Mr. Butler :) Great quilt! That ottoman looks like a great place to start with pulling the colors for the next one.

    ReplyDelete