Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Arts Walk Quilt finished three months after the fact

Back in early March or late February, I finished this quilt top with the intention of finishing the whole quilt in time for the guild exhibit at the local Arts Walk in April.  The Coral pattern was a free download by Angela Walters.
But it sat, unfinished and untouched while I debated how to quilt it.  It seemed to need spiffy quilting and I just wasn't up for spiffy quilting.  And the deadline for the exhibit passed and I still didn't touch it.  Last month I finally basted it and then thought about how to quilt it.  Yesterday, I finally committed the time to quilt it.  Today it is machine bound and washed.

My quilting is only somewhat spiffy in my mind, just five wavy lines that follow the pattern of each block.  They are not so straight, but flow, like water.... It is a step above loops or meandering stipple.

The quilt came together relatively quickly and painlessly. The guild rules stated that we could add solids but only use the given Anna Maria Horner print.  I pulled coordinating solids from the print using Pink Chalk's What Goes with What feature and Hawthorne Thread's Field Study page.  I believe the main background is Kona Indigo.  FS Cosmic Blue, Purple and Cotton Candy, AG Crystal Pink and Parisian Blue, Kona Alegria and Lupine, Michael Miller Mint, Starfruit and Venus.    There might be one or two others but I am unsure at this point and my record keeping was not so good.
I deviated from the pattern just a bit by making it bigger.  I'm not sure if it is a problem that I have in wanting to make quilts large enough for beds and not just lap quilts.  This is approximately 64 x 88 I think.  Perhaps it also has to do with the size of most people in the family.  A 70 inch quilt really doesn't cover one's toes extremely well when one is 69.5 inches.  By then, it is close enough to being twin size, may as well make it a little bigger.



 The back is an American Made Brand solid, maybe dark aqua, paired with a print from Denyse Schmidt's Shelbourne Falls in Lilac.


I will keep working on sharing the backlog or projects that were completed between March and now.  Definitely not as many finishes as in the previous year.  It will get better.  

1 comment:

  1. Looks plenty spiffy to me :) Great quilt, looks like you have been busy!

    ReplyDelete