Sunday, October 30, 2011

Bloggers' Quilt Festival

Amy'sCreativeSide
My completed Summer Sampler Series quilt is my entry for Bloggers' Quilt Festival.  It is my favorite quilt for the year because I made this quilt with my four year old.  When a new block was posted, we would sit down and she would tell me which colors she wanted on what part.  I'd pull a few fabrics from my stash and she'd choose exactly which one she wanted to use.  She's a little obsessed with blue, rainbows and Mingle Dots.  The quilt replaced her old fuzzy blanket that she had since she was a baby which was way too small.  Since this is twin sized, I no longer have to help her cover her toes at 2am.  She didn't help me sew too often, but she drew diagonals for the HST, snipped threads during chain stitching and helped to put the scary and safety pins in their "beds" during basting and binding.  
Completed Summer Sampler Series quilt  Completed Summer Sampler Series quilt back
The back is based on Oh Fransson's Charm Square Baby Quilt pattern with 10 and 5" blocks across the back of the flannel.  Her pattern happened to be re-released right as I was planning out the back and it was perfect.  Her favorite blocks are the Broken Sugar Bowl block on the top row (3rd from the left) and then the Key West Star in the fifth row (3rd from left) perhaps because they are both blue.  It might be because of the name for the Broken Sugar Bowl one.

This was the first quilt that I made without using a collection (after my first one made with  Joann's FQ).  I also am much more comfortable with paper piecing than I was before.  I quilted it with a loopy stitch instead of the normal stipple.  Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the rest of the festival.

17 comments:

  1. what a great quilt and the colours are amazing, even more so if your four year old had an input with them too

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great quilt! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and fresh quilt. Your little girl has already a great sense for colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the story behind your beautiful quilt. Your daughter has done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these SS quilts so so much. Yours is absolutely stunning and I just have to make one. Now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt. Love the fabrics and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so beautiful. And very sweet that you put this together with the help of your daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my - your sampler is beautiful. and BIG! ;-) I love that you & your daughter made it together - so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is outstanding. I love your daughters' part in helping - wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lucky little girl!!

    congratulations for the collaboration, the quilt is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt! And what a great memory to have made it together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lucky girl to have such a wonderful quilt, I hope she picks up the creativity when she gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a fun experience and beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i too participated in the summer sampler quilt along -- yours looks great (mine is still sitting in the closet waiting to be sewn into a quilt top...epic fail) i love the extra blocks you put in...and making it with your daughter is a thing she will remember for a long time...trust me, i remember "helping" my mom make me a quilt I had when I was that age =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your quilt. It's so sweet that you worked on it with your daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. really pretty and fun quilt. fun to work on with your girl! thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  17. This quilt is awesome! Love the fabrics you chose for the sampler blocks.

    ReplyDelete