Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Finished Fruitcake Strings

I conquered the fear of quilting with minky today and finished up the Fruitcake Strings quilt.  I pin basted every 2 inches.  My finger tips are slightly uncomfortable.  There is no noticeable shifting on the back.  It's quilted with just a larger meandering stitch all over while attempting to avoid the excessive pins.  





In contrast to the OK quilt, this took no time at all to quilt.  When I allowed the stitches to get too close together (or didn't move the quilt fast enough), the backing came through to the front.  I probably could have switched to an 80 needle instead of a 90, but just chose to try to make the quilt move at a consistent speed.  

Attaching the binding to the back was not as much fun and I should have pinned it first.  It was hard to hold the binding in line with the edge of the quilt.  I attach it to the back first and fold it to the front when I machine bind.  After machine binding, it was quickly claimed by both kids which means I need to make another minky backed quilt so I don't have to listen to arguing.  

And yay, both June sewing goals are completed.  Now I should figure out how to salvage the blue HST and make something with them.  Unfortunately, the nephew that still needs a quilt loves orange.  


Size: 56 x 64"
Fabric: Fruitcake by Basic Grey
Backing: Cuddle 3 Minky by Shannon (It's dark brown since I did not get a picture of it)
Binding: Hot Cocoa Grunge by Basic Grey
Quilted: by me in a large meandering stitch


No comments:

Post a Comment