Monday, July 22, 2013

Boston Streets finish

 I finished quilting my Boston Streets quilt the other day.  Perhaps I should have been more intentional with my placements of the orange shades, but I'm content.   I'm happy enough with the wishbone quilting in the gray but I decided to try something new in the focal strip.  I looked through Angela Walters' book and decided on wonky triangles (I don't think that's the right name and I can't find the book at the moment.).  Each column in the focal strip was what I used to guide the quilting.  Because it isn't marked or measured and isn't meant to meet up with the next row, it looks to me like I did a horrible job of attempting to quilt a diamond pattern.  Note to self, use the pattern only on one row.  Leave spaces between rows of this quilting pattern.
Up close on the back the pattern looks fine because you can see the different columns of quilting.  These are not pictures meant to show this.  When it was washed, I didn't notice it as much.  When it is 2500 miles away soon, I really won't notice it at all.  

The backing is made with leftover Kona from the front, Kona Coal, Moda Bella Gray (108"), blue scraps from the bin and some random HST leftovers that didn't make the cut for my sister's orange zig zag quilt.  The gray print strips were to separate the Bella and Kona gray pieces because they definitely are different shades.  I didn't want it to look like I messed it up and thought it matched.  

I do really like that I picked the block pattern out in the book, figured out all my own proportions for the final layout, drew the mock up in Word, and I like the outcome.  And, it is all done more than a month before the recipient's birthday.  Hopefully he doesn't change his favorite color to something else.

Block Pattern:  Boston Streets by Nancy Cabot as shown in the Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns
Dimensions:  61x68" washed
Fabrics: Kona Iron, Steel, White and either Bahama Blue, Robin's Egg or Aqua, a FreeSpirit aqua blue, Simply Color Ombre Tangerine
Binding: Kona Steel
Quilted by me with wishbones and wonky triangles


1 comment: