Thursday, July 28, 2011

Extra block #1: The not quite Key West Star

Key West Star
Paper piecing would have resulted in more accurate points, but so would redoing it after I got the hang of the blunt edge triangles I cut with the 45 degree Kaleidoscope ruler.  Lesson learned.  The height of the little triangles was 2.5".  The outer white strip was about 2.5" and I trimmed to match the angles after piecing it to the diamond piece.  Clear as mud?  I should have added the right triangles on the blue before I sewed them together with the white, but the icky part should disappear in the .25" seam when I sew the blocks together.  

One of the parts of quilting I like most is trying to figure out the patterns on my own.  I had fun with this one although when I look again at the picture of what it should look like, the orange diamonds should have touched the outside of the block.  So I guess it isn't quite a Key West Star.  Guess I now know what I can do with the Heirloom fat quarter that I cut up and decided it would be too busy.  And don't try to draw out patterns while a four year old is using scissors next to you.    

No comments:

Post a Comment