Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Big Zig...sort of

The oranges arrived and while my machine was in the shop, I cut, marked and prepared some flying geese and large HST for my sister's quilt.  I used my mom's temporary machine, a little Elna, and wasn't super successful.  My machine came back from the shop this afternoon and I managed to piece and press all the HST for my scrappy Big Zig from Denyse Schmidt Quilts.  My sister would love the Flock of Triangles quilt, but I'm not quite up to doing that for a quilt.  She'll get a pillow or two with that design.  She sent the following links from Flickr as quilts she liked.



I sort of combined the two requests into a scrappy Big Zig.  I think I want to substitute some more of the darker oranges into the right hand zig zag.  I'm hoping she's ok with this plan since when I started quilting she sent me Amanda Jean's tutorial of how to piece zig zags without using triangles.  This is not the final layout of the colors.  I was just postponing the need to trim the HST down to the right size.  I sent her a picture of the fabrics and she said that they did match her expectations of "sunset" colors.








the pillow to be



dark and light oranges in same zig zag mock layout



And I'm actually in a bee.  Leah of Burgundy Buttons posted about it on her blog and it was weird and exciting to see her post in my reader and know that I'm a part of it too.  Yep, I'm really happy to be in a bee and really happy that my sewing machine is back from the shop.  Never would have thought that 4 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment