I spent last weekend trying to make some trees with measurements that could be manageable for 5th graders to sew as part of an art project. The artist who is helping them is trying to recreate Jinny Beyer's Enchanted Forest quilt. Not being a big fan of sewing long rows myself and thinking that each student probably would like to have the satisfaction of making one tree, I suggested blocks instead of rows. We quickly eliminated the tops of one tree being a part of the bottom of the next tree. I sent measurements, directions and the sample blocks but am waiting to hear back from her as to whether or not she liked any of the tree sizes.
Fabrics: Moda Snow and Northcott Gold Leaf Metallic
Pattern: Starburst by Melissa Corry (the 32" block size)
Quilted by me with a smaller meandering stipple
Backing: Ivory flannel by Kaufman
Nephew #1's quilt was also finished over the MLK holiday weekend. My normal quilt holder fractured his foot so we had to trade roles for the picture. First I present the back.....
And then the front.
Pattern: Ring Toss by Allison Harris of Cluck, Cluck, Sew
Fabrics: Nature and Oval Elements, Metro Living, Stof, Michael Miller Ikat, Dear Stella (the red with white), Odyssea and Kaufman Spot On in Cardinal. Backing is a Dear Stella print.
Quilted by: me with meandering loops
Even though this involved sewing the rows vertically, and I don't enjoy sewing long rows if I can help it, I would be more than willing to make this again. It went together pretty quickly after the cutting and the directions were well written.
Nephew #2 finally has a quilt top completed and the backing is pieced. Hopefully I can get it basted tomorrow and then quilt it this week. This is based on Round and Round but with modifications to make it larger and to use the 6.5" squares from the failed attempt at Bizzy Kid.
I separated each block into nine patches and then sewed them together rather than sew rows. That's just my preference. I think part of it has to do with having small helpers who like to pick up pieces. This was not an easy one to put together with helpers around. I was so close to having 3 finishes within the month of January!
Hope you all are having a wonderful day!
No comments:
Post a Comment