Monday, August 19, 2013

Cat Challenge



A guild member was inundated with cat fabric for charity quilts.  We posed a challenge to the guild to take a 10" square, use 30-40% of it, and try to update it.

First, I went through the fabric I had and tried to find something that coordinated.  That wasn't too successful.  Instead I figured I could just cut the square into 10 one inch strips and use some slice and insert to make the block.  Just looking at the multicolored lines, you might be able to figure out what my original idea was.  At the end of my strips, I was about .25 of an inch too short and I wasn't so excited about the product.  I added in the yellow and blue strips and trimmed it to size.

I wish I would have added a navy strip in the middle before trimming but I decided to just stop at this point.  I was a little scared I would cut too many times and end up with a block that was too small again.  75% of the cat fabric was included in the block and it was always my intention to try to use as much of it as possible in the design.  Imperfect, but now there are only 2 creepy looking eyes left instead of more than 6.

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! I will be working on my block a little later today. I noticed that so far everyone has used a white background, so I'm changing my plan so that my block doesn't stick out like a sore thumb when the blocks are assembled. Can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I love the architectural qualities of this.

    ReplyDelete