Monday, April 28, 2014

Planning requires paper

I do love making calculations for quilts and planning them out.  I found out on Sunday that writing things down on paper is much better for me than laying out different size blocks on the table/floor/design space and thinking I have the dimensions correct especially toward the middle to end of the day.  Two attempts at laying things out and then sewing without the math ended up with two failures in terms of sizing and no easy way of fixing it.

 This idea changed into string hourglasses.
 Which then changed back to an hourglass sampler of various sizes (2,4 or 6" finished).
The top part ended up two inches too big in one direction for the #DSTTchallenge as it should have been 20" in all directions, and then the bottom part ended up 2 inches shorter than I thought when I put it out on the floor.  But now I don't have to try to rush and finish it before the end of Wednesday.

Lesson learned.  Do the math and planning on paper before committing to a design in fabric.  This one was planned on paper and it was wonderful.  To make this a more reasonable size, I have a bit more piecing and planning to do.  Perhaps next weekend....

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I like them all!! The dots really make a fun background. Especially when you mix up the scale...I would have never thought to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them all, too. You are so far beyond my ability, and it is just awesome to see your process in photos here. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete